Sunday, August 3, 2014

Traveling to New Places

          Traveling to new places makes life worth living.  Travel can mean a day trip to a destination an hour away or a twenty hour flight across the ocean. What is important, in either excursion, is the new sights, sounds, and experiences that a trip to a place you have never been before can bring you. There is more to be gained than getting away from the day-to-day grind of driving to work and the stress of our jobs.  We often stress about recurring problems in our lives.  Travel allows us to step away from these problems for bit, allowing our now relaxed subconscious brain to come up with some creative solutions.  I don't know how much scientific study has been done on this issue, but I know even after a short weekend away, I feel more optimistic and capable to handle concerns in my life. When you are dealing with a new environment, you have to give it more attention.  You can't spend all your time worrying about your problems.
     The beauty of the White Mountains of New Hampshire reminds me of the majesty of nature in our world.  The mountains also remind me of the higher power that created them, a power that can certainly help with a positive solution to my problems. I felt that same feeling in Hawaii.  There are dark mountains that formed when the volcanic islands were born.  When we were driving through the valleys, the mountains would rise dramatically on either side of roadway; an imposing sight.  Here I know I am part of a dynamic world that is ever changing and always full of possibilities and creativity.
     I have met people from different states and countries in my travels.  These people often have some of the same hopes and concerns I have about life, and most especially about our children, but some have problems I can't imagine, and I remember to appreciate all I have.  If nothing else, when I come home after staying at a nice hotel, I am more determined to remove the clutter from my home in exchange for a more organized and peaceful environment, which means less cleaning and more time for myself and my family.
     Mary Conti, the main character in my book, Pompeii Days, is afraid she is running away from her problems by going to Pompeii, but it is her hope that the  trip will give her a new perspective on a relationship that she fears is going nowhere.  The trip will also help solidify her love for ancient history in all its aspects, including dirty, dusty, and sometimes dangerous excavations.  It will force her to challenge herself to deal with situations that are perilous, and to realize what a strong and courageous person she really is.  Being in Pompeii will also help her to decide whether to let go of her romantic relationship at home, and explore one that could turn out to be much better.  So take a trip, near or far, and see what it could bring into your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment